February 21, 2011

Two of the Same Mystery

It is tremendous to be able to sew again without the mess! No more moving other projects or stuff just so that I can sew! Yeah! Now the 6 containers of wip's, that were originally not going to be finished, can be tackled with renewed piecing interest.

Back in 1997, one of the Calgary quilt stores had a Mystery Quilt summer. All you had to do was pick up a step each week. I still remember cutting these quilts at the Yakima race track in Washington. My DH drag raced in the super comp category. Drag racing being a hurry up and wait sport there was lots of relax time for my new enthusiastic hobby. After working on these quilts during the quilt guild scrap weekend over the last 5 years, the quilts finally reached a stage where the enthusiasm to finish them was overwhelming. And now they are ready for the quilter. Two done a million to go!

This mystery used 4 fabrics, but, you could use a different colour fabric in a certain area thereby using 5 fabrics. So, of course I had to make the 2 similar yet different quilts. If you are looking for the difference, ...






... in the yellow quilt, the star points and star center are blue. In the pink quilt the star points are deep pink and the star center is dark purple.

It is interesting that when the colours were picked for these quilts I just picked the colours. Now, I sometimes agonize over the colours more than I should. It seems that the more I've learned over the years the more particular I've become in choosing colours. Have even had to get out this egg timer from a Mary Ellen Hopkins seminar.

How many of you find yourself agonizing over the fabric picking?

1 comment:

  1. great tops and so different. Yes, sometimes we seem to major in minors. I am trying to get old stuff finished up as well.

    ReplyDelete