July 19, 2018

Rose and Dot

Ah, a fresh farm yard egg with fried onions.
Rose and Dot by Lori Kennedy. It was such a delight to make Splendid Sampler II's 6th free block.

Mine is raw edge appliqued and I didn't use the batting option, Step 4. Using the batting option with raw edge applique would be cool because it would soften the rose edge look. I would have used a black batting for mine.
My tips this week are:
- used stitch witchery for the fusible because it is very thin and pliable especially when fusing three fabrics on top of each other.
- used heavier variegated thread around the rose center.
- offset the flower to give attitude
- the top of the stem has only 1/8" or less under the rose, just enough to cover the raw edge and when decorative edge stitching it doesn't show through as much and is slightly curved.

Enjoy.



2 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! I like the dot background ... grunge, I'm guessing? This is a wonderful pattern, and I've been thinking of making a whole quilt, using scraps for it. That should use up some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, on the closeup, I can see it isn't grunge. What a great fabric!

      Delete