August 13, 2018

Flowering Tree Scratching Post

   The other day I was thinking I need some sewing to do because I'm tired of reorganizing. Careful what you wish for. Next day, an email with instructions for 43  six inch blocks  blocks, PLUS the next 2018 Murder Mystery block and clue. Geesh. I don't know whether to cry or be happy as the fabric for reorganizing is scattered on the cutting table and floor. Does it get cleaned up or shoved to the side and worked around?

   Last Thursday's block for Splendid Sampler II, Flowering Tree, was another fun block to paper piece. Amy Friend of During Quiet Time is the designer. Have to admit I'm in love with the smaller blocks. You may have to make more but the go together so quickly. My rendition for my version, Sunny Side Up, has two favorite things, yellow roses and bacon.

   Ever since I took a Judy Niemeyer paper piecing class, paper piecing is no problem. It is the second step that solved my problem. The pictures begin at piecing section 5. The tools are: a piece of heavy paper stock cardstock, flower head pins, a Add An Eighth ruler (instead of Add a Quarter because the block and sections are small), a small rotary cutter (easier to use) and a hera marker ( to save on fingernails).

1. Place the paper pieced unit right sides together on top of section 5 fabric and matching the seam allowance edge. Pin together so they don't shift. 
2. ***Fold back section 5 paper to make sure that the fabric for section 5 is larger than section 5 by at least 1/4". This is the step that will save you from swearing and ripping.
3. Flip the paper back over and stitch on the line.   
                              
4. Press the fabric seam with the hera marker like you would press a regular seam. With paper face up, place the cardstock edge on the stitched line.

 5. Fold the paper back over the cardstock. Place the ruler lip against the fold.                                    

6. Trim fabric to 1/8" seam allowance.                                                                                                

7. Repeat the steps for the remaining sections.                                                                                     
Note that the outside corners that flap are basted down to keep the fabric and paper from shifting.

Units completed, pieced together and trimmed to 6 1/2".
   Mom is getting so well trained. She put another quilt on the bottom shelf in the den for me to nap on while she's on the computer. 

Now this is hilarious. After seeing me stretching and using the rug as a scratching post, Mom is on her hand and knees showing me how to use the sloped scratching post. Too funny! Even putting me over on the scratching box and moving my paws like I should scratch. Like I don't know how to scratch! Ergonomic, the box says, better for the cat, the box says. Meowgonomic. Mom finally got the drift and put the scratching post flat on the ground. Mom's training up real well!



No comments:

Post a Comment