July 29, 2019

Block Bonanza Setting Seams

   Way back when, many gals in the Calgary area participated in-house, the four years we ran the programs. Many more gals participated via mail. Because it was so much fun back then, we are starting a new Block Bonanza in the fall. 

Today I spent part of the afternoon cutting out the background fabric for testing the upcoming Block Bonanza quilt, Diamond. Here is a teaser. Can't think of a better use of the long arm take up bars. Can you?

Be sure to sign up for Quiltnasium's newsletter to hear for the upcoming registration.

   One of the things that will be important in piecing the Diamond quilt is setting the seam. This is an old tailor’s trick, to make the seams lay completely flat. Even though tailors would be using wool or wool blend fabrics, the actual technique is the same and the result is just as effective.

In quilting, we lay the seam on the ironing board with the side up that the fabric is being pressed to. Most quilters press the seam with steam. (I do because it helps the fabric do as I want it to do.) Then fold the fabric over and steam press again. Warning: when using steam be careful not to stretch the fabric. 

Now, what I've learned is to press the seam on both sides thus causing the thread to embed into the material which give you a much crisper finish. Then open the fabric over the seam and slightly finger press the seam. Then steam press the seam. If you allow the block to cool then that keeps the fabric and seam as it should be because you are not disturbing the fabric. Remember cotton is easily influenced to move.

Enjoy your week!


      I'm so excited, mom is letting me tell you all that we celebrated our first year anniversary together last weekend. She has helped me get back in shape of being a cat. Now, I tear around the yard and up and down the stairs. I jump up on the bed without a footstool. I'm bring mom all the presents she needs. Best of all, I got a new scratching post. MEEOWW! We both love each other very much and think that life couldn't be grander!


No comments:

Post a Comment