June 15, 2020

Stash vs Collection vs Patience

   I had a chuckle reading Elaine's Crazy Quilter on a Bike the other day. She found fabric and project purchases in a green bag that had a 2015 receipt that had never been opened. Oh been there, luckily no receipt. 

While reorganizing, I read that there are two, yes only two, main fabric stashes, a Stash and a Collection. Most of us have both. I figure there are also sub stashes/collections which are purchasing/collecting for certain projects. 

It seems I'm more of a collector. In other words, a just in caser. Even though intentions are good, making that pattern or cutting up that fabric probably won't happen. And that is OK. Relax. Take a deep breath or two. We are in the 95 percentile. 

Now that I'm able to see everything easily, the Collection is slowly moving into a Stash. Even into other groups' stash, masks and bags and charity. It just feels sooo great. The weight has been lifted. I'm hoping to inspire you to at least get it set up so that you can see it clearly when you open the cupboard or pop the lid instead of searching pile after pile and still not finding it. LOL, remember not to put it in a safe place.

Yes, I still have that Special fabric that called out to me to take it home. Some of the Special fabric is turning into a back because I cannot cut it but, it will look fabulous on the back of the newest favourite quilt top.

Don't get me wrong, the collection will still go on. Maybe a little more thoughtfully. (I thought I heard it calling me.) After all the stash is going down. I'm not one to pet fabric but I will review and admire the stash/collection. It's art. Even when going through a magazine and seeing a quilt made in the fabric that I have, I think, I could make that quilt but I choose not to.

Everyone of my quilting friends say that their kids don't want it. Give the kids the names of other quilting friends and quilting groups. The fabric is always needed by someone. Myself, with no kids, there is a listing in my will of places to pass the fabric to. But, then again, the fabric may gone. Ha Ha Ha. Not.

Anyways, enjoy what you have. Definitely, you are worth every meter/yard.

   Patience is what is needed for mousing and especially with mom. Mom tells me that she saw a mouse head into the garden and then she turns around and interferes in the pursuit of mouse. This morning she was such a nuisance. First in the mugo pine,

then in the wood pile, then over by the rain catcher. 

Even had to look in the window to make sure she was busy so I could carry on. 

Maybe another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment